Saturday, June 26, 2010

Road Trip Pic of the Day, 6/25: What is this?

If you recognize this giant, let me know and you might win a prize in the Road Trip Picture of the Day challenge.(Credit: Daniel Terdiman/CNET)

Update (9:22 p.m. EST): The answer to today's Picture of the Day Challenge--which, amazingly, 216 of you got, was Howard Hughes' Spruce Goose. Well, the left wing of it, anyway. The H-4 Hercules is located at the Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum, in McMinnville, Oregon. To everyone, thanks for playing. And please remember to come back over the weekend, as the Picture of the Day Challenge doesn't rest during Road Trip. On Thursday, I made my first stop on the CNET Road Trip 2010. But before we start looking forward, there's still time to look back at some of the best imagery from previous Road Trips. That leads me to Friday's Road Trip Picture of the Day challenge: can you figure out what this picture is and where it's located? This is clearly a very big plane--after all, the only parts of it showing here are its left wing and its many propellers. Still, I bet you can figure it out. If you have both answers, e-mail them to me no later than 6 p.m. Pacific time Friday (at daniel--dot--terdiman--at--cnet--dot--com, including "Picture of the Day" in the subject line). I'll choose a winner at random from among everyone who sends in both pieces of the correct answer. Please forgive me if you don't hear from me if you're not the winner. I get dozens of responses each day. Also, I've turned off comments because some people have been posting the correct answers there. I hate to shut down discussion, but I want you to figure out the answer on your own. One caveat: no individual can win more than two prizes. But at the end of the trip, I'll be drawing a name from among all the daily challenge winners and giving out something a little more substantial. On Thursday, Geek Gestalt kicked off Road Trip 2010. After driving more than 18,000 miles in the Rocky Mountains, the Pacific Northwest, the Southwest and the Southeast over the last four years, I'll be looking for the best in technology, science, military, nature, aviation and more throughout the American northeast. If you have a suggestion for someplace to visit, drop me a line. In the meantime, you can follow my preparations for the project on Twitter @GreeterDan and @RoadTrip and find the project on Facebook.
Source: CNET News (http://cnet.com/)

No comments:

Post a Comment